After-Tax Rollover Year behavior in Roth conversion analysis

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lmolino)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

From page 135 of PRC Gold 2022 manual

"After-Tax Rollover Year: If you have after-tax contributions in your tax-deferred account or your spouse’s tax-deferred account, this control enables you to tell PRC if and when you want to roll it over to your Roth account. If you want to roll it all over in a single year, just enter that year in this field (for you and/or your spouse). If left blank, after-tax rollovers will occur in conjunction with conversion of the pre-tax dollars and in proportion to the pre-tax conversion amount."

What I have found is if I enter a year in the After-Tax Rollover Year field, PRC will rollover the remaining amount, not the entire amount. In other words, if a conversion is starter in 2025 and I enter 2030 in the “After-Tax Rollover Year” value, proportional after-tax rollovers will occur in years 2025 – 2029. Then in 2030 the remaining entire after tax amount will be rolled overs. Is this the intend behavior. From the manual, I would think that the intended behavior would be to not do any after-tax conversions until 2030.

Using PRC Gold V3.3

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Yes, that is the intended behavior. Per the pro-rata rule, all conversions take a portion from the after-tax funds if any exist.

ReplyQuote
(@lmolino)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

@smatthews51, Thank you for clearing that up. My tax-differed account does not require pro-rata withdrawals from the after-tax funds.

ReplyQuote
Share: