Should Social Secur...

Notifications
Clear all

Should Social Security income and expenses show as same amounts despite inflation setting?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@debit)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Newbie here. If this has been answered before, my apologies, because I cannot find it. Because I have been attempting to properly compare results between Retiree Portfolio Manager and Pralana Gold, I had set inflation to 0 in Home/General and Social Security / Income. I have only one Expense item right now, my total non-tax expenses. Now I'm ready to add to back inflation, so I set it to 3% at Home/General, which is what I vaguely remember PRC's default being. And then I left SS alone. What I see on Tabular Projections / Income, and Expenses, is the same amount every year. Is that what I'm supposed to see? For the first time, my ending portfolio values are wildly different between the two programs, which I would suspect is because RPM shows so much more income over a 30+ year period. Any help will be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@debit If your expenses increase at the same rate as inflation, they will appear as constant values when viewed in terms of today's dollars. So, I suspect you have today's dollars selected on the Tabular Projections pages. If you change that to future $ you should see those expenses increasing annually at 3%.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@debit)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Stuart just solved my problem elsewhere. Right below General inflation rate, somehow I had entered "model new inflation rate?" with a blank, but with a starting year of 2023. Hence, 0 inflation. Rookie move!

ReplyQuote
Share: