Clear all

Edit Deletes Content

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@yankeelaker)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Scenario: I have entered text into a text field. For example, the Scenario Description for Scenario 1 on the Home tab. Later, I decide I wish to edit that description. When I click into the field to edit it, the existing contents of the field disappears, meaning I cannot really edit existing text, I have to re-create the text all over again. Is this the way it is supposed to work? Pretty frustrating to not be able to use normal Excel edit functions in a field that is intended for the user to customize its contents. Is there like a special key to hold down when clicking in these fields, to prevent the existing text from being deleted?

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@yankeelaker I hear you but, yes, this is the way it's supposed to work. Pralana Gold is an Excel spreadsheet but it's light years away from being "normal". The data entry cells don't actually hold your data; they contain formulas that point to your data which is stored in a database. So, when you edit your data, you're overwriting the formulas rather than simply modifying the data in that cell and those formulas have to be replaced when you click "enter" or otherwise leave the cell. That's why you have to re-create the entire entry each time to edit a field. The primary purpose for this is to facilitate imports and exports of your data; it's much simpler and faster to move the data to and from an export file if it's all in one place as opposed to being in hundreds of places scattered over dozens of different pages.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@yankeelaker)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

@smatthews51 Got it. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

ReplyQuote
Share: