Clear all

How do I update PRC Gold?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@morlock103)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

The change log shows that PRC Gold has been updated for bug fixes since I downloaded it a few days ago. How do I update PRC Gold without consuming the number of downloads I am entitled to, which are restricted for reasons I don't understand.

Page 160 of the The 2021 Gold User Manual provides link to a User support page which shows a "page not found 404 error" when I try to access it. How do I access the user support page and download updates without consuming the restricted # of downloads.?

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

The download limit you're referring to is associated with the number of attempts allowed per download request. That value is greater than one just in case some sort of disruption occurs during a given download. This has nothing to do with a user's ability to request additional downloads to take bug fixes or to put a copy of the calculator on a second or a new computer. That's the purpose of having a user login. Anytime you need another download, just login and that'll take you to the members page where you can make the request.

Your comment about the link on page 160 of the user manual is actually associated with the 2020 Gold User Manual, I think. That was an oversight on my part in going live with the new site. I totally forgot about that link in the 2020 user manual which doesn't work with the new Pralana website. So, that has now been corrected in the latest version of the 2020 user manual, along with updated guidance on logging in for PRC2020 updates.

ReplyQuote
(@morlock103)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

I managed to download and updated file, but I found the process a bit confusing. I initially went to the tab called "Get PRC" and tried to download an updated file from from there but it tired to take me to Paypal, not recognizing that I had paid before. So I abandoned that process and tried some other things and eventually got to a download button. I can't recite the path I took to get there. After hit the down load button it seemed like nothing happened. Then I noticed a file being downloaded in the lower left section of my screen. I think it would be helpful if a "save as" window were displayed after hitting the PRC Gold download button. The revised document download button works well that way. Anyway I wanted to pass on my feedback on this to you.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Thanks for the feedback, James. I'll take your comments into consideration and see what can be done to improve and/or clarify the process. But for now, the GetPRC page is strictly for new customers and it shows only the two major products: the Gold calculator selling for $99 and the free Bronze calculator. Anyone currently holding either a 2020 or 2021 Gold license/membership should click on the Member Login link at the top of every page and that will lead to the members page. From there, the products to which that user has a license will appear. That includes free downloads of PRC2020 and PRC2021 and upgrades to PRC2021.

The website is formed through the integration of multiple commercially available WordPress plug-ins, not via custom code that I've written. Consequently, I'm largely bound by the way these work and have limited flexibility in the amount of customization I can do. The little download progress window in the lower left of the screen on Windows computers is pretty normal in my experience and is consistent with the way it has always worked on the Pralana website, for what it's worth.

ReplyQuote
Share: