Clear all

Cost basis of taxable investment accounts instead of current unrealized gains

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@nevinsalumni-duke-edu)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

New user here, and since I don't see any other posts in this wish list section, I'm probably doing something wrong even in the forum haha. But, in the financial assets section, my vote would be to have the auxiliary column for taxable accounts be cost basis, not current unrealized gains. That way, if you changed the value of the account, you wouldn't necessarily have to change the "current unrealized gain" column unless of course you knew you needed to because of some change of positions. That's how I see some other calculators work as well. thanks! So far I really like the tool, and it certainly is granular! whew!

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Bob, the "Wish List" is a brand new forum category so, congratulations, you're the first person to make an entry! I think your suggestion makes sense and I've definitely considered that in the past. The reason I use "current unrealized gains" rather than "cost basis" is simply because the error introduced into the projections is probably much smaller this way if the uses leaves that field blank. Regardless, I'll put this on my candidate list for future enhancement and then see what sort of additional comments we get on this post going forward.

Thanks!

Stuart

Bob Nevins reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: