Clear all

"Optimize Withdrawal Order" bug?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gianmatt96)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Gold v3: On the Analysis tab, Withdrawal Order section, the default message reads "Improvement over current setting is $-1,458,903 in today's dollars", which is odd because I don't even have a seven-figure portfolio. OK, fine; I click Optimize, and after some calculations, it says the improvement is $38,000. But, as soon as I click OK to get rid of the pop-up confirmation dialog, it undoes the entire calculation and reverts to the negative $1.4 million. I don't even get a chance to click Adopt.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Tom,

I think this probably points to an improvement that could made in PRC but I believe this problem will go away if you go to the Run Analysis page and run a Monte Carlo analysis prior to optimizing the withdrawal order. The reason for this suggestion is because your "baseline" (against which the optimized result is compared) is only established and saved when the Monte Carlo (or historical) analysis is performed. Otherwise, the "baseline" will be associated with the example data in PRC at the time it's downloaded.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@gianmatt96)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Stuart, I am still having problems with this. The withdrawal order section still shows the weird negative $1.9 million as improvement. I went to Analysis, selected Monte Carlo, clicked Update Active Analysis. That worked. Back on Optimization panel, I click Optimize Withdrawal Order. It thinks for a while, then displays the "Withdrawal Order Optimization is complete" dialog. Underneath, in the results panel, it shows "Improvement over current setting is $ in today's dollars." No amount is shown. As soon as I click the button to close the "optimization complete" dialog, the improvement number once again displays the original negative $1.9 million.

I am wondering if I could send you my file for you to take a look?

ReplyQuote
 NC
(@nc-cpl)
Reputable Member Customer

@gianmatt96 I have what appears to be the same problem. Same results as you and a very large negative "improvement" number.

1. For Scenario 1 - I run a Monte Carlo analysis (Expenses with smoothing selected + Monte Carlo selected as the "Solution Type")
  2. I Update the Analysis, then move to Optimization screen
  3. Same scenario - I click "optimize Withdrawal Order" and when it's finished, I'm getting -$2.9M as the improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)

I wonder if this is related to having smoothing turned on for expenses. @gianmatt96 do you have that setting turned on?

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)

I wonder if this is related to having smoothing turned on for expenses. @gianmatt96 do you have that setting turned on?

ReplyQuote
(@gianmatt96)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Sorry for delayed response - I didn't have notifications turned on. I do not have expense smoothing turned on.

ReplyQuote
 NC
(@nc-cpl)

@gianmatt96 Stuart has indicated to me this is an error in the latest version and will be fixing it soon.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@nc-cpl And to confirm, PRC2022.3.3 does correct an error in the presentation of results from the withdrawal order optimization algorithm.

ReplyQuote
(@gianmatt96)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

OK, I'll stay tuned for the next update. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@gianmatt96 Just to clarify, the current version (2022.3.3) has eliminated the error in question to the best of my knowledge.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
Share: