Clear all

How to tell PG that I will appeal IRMAA charges due to retirement

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@boeingflier)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Pralana Gold is calculating a huge IRMAA surcharge for 2026 based on my 2024 magi, but I will appeal due to my retirement in 2024 and most likely the appeal will be granted. Any way to tell Pralana Gold about this?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 NC
(@nc-cpl)
Reputable Member Customer

@boeingflier I might be wrong but you must have entered an expected income for this year thats triggering IRMAA in 2026. Unless you modify that I don't know how you manually override the IRMAA surcharge.

btw - I read that appealing IRMAA is best done in-person at a SS office vs online. Better chance of approval. Got mine appealed that way.

This post was modified 3 months ago by NC

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@boeingflier If the year in question is two or more years into the future (as is 2026), there's no way to override PRC's IRMAA calculations IF you ask PRC to do the Medicare premium calculations automatically. To work around this, my recommendation would be to add some non-taxable income in 2026 to compensate for the additional charge for Medicare in that year. You could do this via one of the Other Income streams. Another alternative would be to manually specify your Medicare premiums on the Healthcare expenses page, but the downside of that is that this input be apply to all the remaining years in the modeling period (but it would be adjusted for inflation).

Stuart

ReplyQuote
 NC
(@nc-cpl)
Reputable Member Customer

Alternatively, know that you'll appeal it and don't worry about it.

ReplyQuote
(@boeingflier)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

@smatthews51 Thanks I like that workaround...I will do just that.

I could also ignore it as somebody else suggested...just my CDO won't let me 🤣

ReplyQuote
Share: