frequency of "Update Export File"

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jo G
(@jo-g)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

While working on PRC for more than just a few minutes , say a few hours, I assume we should be frequently clicking the Home Page's "Update Export File" button , similar to how one frequently saves a MSWord or MSExcel document quite frequently ? Yes for sure we do it at the end too.

What is the difference between clicking the "Save" icon vs "Update Export File" ?

Thank you.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Jo G

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Jo, there's a big difference between clicking the Save icon and the Update Export File link. The Save does just what you think it does but with some PRC-specific controls to facilitate quicker saves: it saves the PRC file to disk. Update Export File updates the export file (in the directory from which it was imported or where the export file was saved when first created, whichever occurred most recently). The update of the export file saves only your data, not the entire file (it's a file of about 450KB whereas the PRC file is about 9MB in size).

Even though I personally never save a PRC file with my personal data in it (because I've been at this a long time and am only ever in my file for a few minutes at a time and always use the very latest version of the calculator), you should probably just use the Save once in a while as you're entering your data and learning the tool. But, as you're already doing, keep that export file up to date at the end of each work session, as a minimum. That way, you're always good to go in case of a system failure. Later on, when you get to a point where you're only in the tool for a few minutes at a time, then you can probably dispense with the Saves and just do updates of the Export file like I do.

ReplyQuote
Share: