Clear all

Work around for SSDI Modeling

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@majorjdw)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

I have a question about modeling SSDI income and information feeding into Roth Conversion analysis. The manual says "

Social Security Disability Modeling

PRC does not specifically model Social Security Disability benefits. If you need to do this, we recommend using one of the Other Income streams and set taxation to Non-taxable. "

If someone is collecting SSDI with an age of say 50 and they know their SSDI is taxed at 85% automatically due to other pension income then it seems to me that a person could just set the taxation to 85% and that would accomplish the first part of the goal. With this would the model go ahead and predict IRMAA brackets beginning at the initial age since the person would be paying the medicare premium? If so wouldn't this information feed into the Roth conversion analysis from the year the person specifies to start Roth conversions?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@majorjdw Your question has caused me to reconsider the advice given in the manual about using one of the Other Income streams and I've just revised the manual to say this:

"...we recommend using two Other Income streams: one to represent the taxable portion of the SSDI stream and another to represent the non-taxable portion of the SSDI stream. Determining how much of your SSDI is taxable and how much is non-taxable is a function of your MAGI and is an exercise you will need to perform outside of PRC. The maximum taxation on any SS income is 85%, so a worst case way to go would be to set Other Income #1 (taxable) to 85% of your SSDI and Other Income #2 (non-taxable) to 15% of your SSDI."

In response to your question, you cannot "set the taxation to 85%" because PRC Gold does automatic tax calculations, so your only option is to specify a given income stream as taxable or non-taxable. Using two other income streams as described above will, I think, model your SSDI; however, PRC Gold does not model Medicare prior to age 65, so the IRMAA question is moot. As a workaround, you would have to manually specify your health insurance premiums prior to age 65. With that said, though, the IRMAA limitations feature of PRC's Roth conversion algorithm would not have any affect prior to age 65.

Stuart

This post was modified 3 months ago by Stuart Matthews

ReplyQuote
Share: