TABULAR PROJECTIONS...

Notifications
Clear all

TABULAR PROJECTIONS\AGI Detail\Healthcare paid with pretax dollars ?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@d-ruthsbcglobal-net)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

This concerns the columns on the "TABULAR PROJECTIONS\AGI Details" tab that go into the computation of the "Federal AGI" column. Specifically, I'm trying to understand the value I see in the column "Healthcare paid with pretax dollars", which for me has a negative value of -$3880, so in my case it reduces my AGI by that amount.

Looking for where that negative $3880 figure comes from, it seems to come from the (auto-calculated) Medicare Part B premiums ($2096) + my Medicare Part D & Medigap premiums ($1784).

Why is this value, from these expenses, used to reduce my AGI? I'm retired, with no earned income, and I pay these premiums out of the following accounts (both in real life and in PRC 2024):

Medicare Part B Premiums (auto-calculated $2096): Paid out of my HSA account by including it as a "Scheduled Withdrawal" on the "FINANCIAL ASSETS\Management" Page, with a "Withdrawal Source\Type" of "Qualified HSA". Part B premiums are a qualified healthcare expense for HSA purposes, so the withdrawals are not taxable.

Medicare Part D Premiums & Medigap Premiums ($1784) are entered on the "EXPENSES\Healthcare" page under "Period 5" "Insurance Premiums Beyond Calculated Value", so I assume these are being paid out of the cash account, since they are not included in any scheduled withdrawal.

I don't understand why these expenses are being used to reduce my AGI. What am I missing?

Thanks, Doug

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@d-ruthsbcglobal-net My guess is that on the Expenses > Healthcare page you've specified that 100% of your healthcare premiums are being paid with pre-tax dollars. Please let me know if that's not the case.

By the way, yes, your $1784 premium is being paid out of your cash account. So is your $2096 auto-calculated Part B premium, but it's being reimbursed via the scheduled withdrawal from your HSA.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@d-ruthsbcglobal-net)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

@smatthews51 Thanks Stuart, That was the issue. I had the percentage of healthcare premiums paid with pre-tax dollars set at 100%. Not sure how I overlooked that. Doug

ReplyQuote
Share: