Multiple small twea...

Notifications
Clear all

Multiple small tweaks to documentation, calculation, naming...

4 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@hanst)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

I didn't want a new post for each, so here's my wish list..

1. Output report:
    1. Include scenario name on cover sheet. Include scenario number in output report file name (so I can save all three in the same folder.)
  2. Documentation
    1. Is there a single sequence to run optimizations (Roth conversions; consumption smoothing; withdrawal order; earliest retirement date; social security start ages; Update active analysis) that doesn't require (or minimizes) looping back? If so, can you document that.
  3. Naming
    1. “fixed rate” -> “deterministic”, “static”, “baseline”, or something else. [FR reminds me of bond interest]
    2. Monte Carlo Results -> Monte Carlo Simulation
    3. Historical Results -> Historical Simulation
    4. Historical Sequence Analysis -> History Replay or Historical Path Replay
  4. Calculation
    1. Add a progress bar for long-running analyses (e.g. Consumption smoothing for Historical). And the ability to abort them without leaving the xlsm in an inconsistent state. (And then you could dispense with the “this may take a few minutes…” popup.)
    2. Earliest Safe Retirement Date: use static, not Monte Carlo. [Likely a can of worms here. I would like to run this optimization a lot, but it takes forever. In other places (e.g. consumption smoothing) we can do this with static projection which works fine. As suggested in the documentation, MC's results are of unknown accuracy, including a 90% "guarantee", so many users handle risk in other ways (using conservative RORs, expense forecasts, etc.)]
  5. UI
    1. On Analysis/Run Analysis, allow user to show non-essential spending only (or perhaps total spending less taxes).
    2. Move HSA return assumptions next to those of other investment accounts.

WTS reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hanst)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

following up on my point 5.2 above.. Maybe it's just my HSA custodian, but I am able to specify a variety of long term investment options (stocks, bonds, etc.). And I expect to leave funds in the HSA for a long time to take advantage of its triple tax avoidance. (Personally I think of it as a self-funded LTC plan.)

I suspect may other users consider it the same way. Should it be treated in PRC more like a regular investment account?

NC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bo3b)
Trusted Member Customer

Posted by: @hanst

1. Output report:
    1. Include scenario name on cover sheet. Include scenario number in output report file name (so I can save all three in the same folder.)

Would also be helpful to have the "Scenario Name" and Export filename on every (Header or Footer) Output Report page.

WTS reacted
ReplyQuote
(@seaway_plunge_09icloud-com)
New Member Customer

Posted by: @hanst

following up on my point 5.2 above.. Maybe it's just my HSA custodian, but I am able to specify a variety of long term investment options (stocks, bonds, etc.). And I expect to leave funds in the HSA for a long time to take advantage of its triple tax avoidance. (Personally I think of it as a self-funded LTC plan.)

I suspect may other users consider it the same way. Should it be treated in PRC more like a regular investment account?

My HSA custodian is similar, so I too would like to see HSAs handled similar to other investment accounts (like Roth).

ReplyQuote
Share: