Scheduled withdrawa...

Notifications
Clear all

Scheduled withdrawal beyond modelling period - bug?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ilovemybeagles)
Trusted Member Customer
Topic starter  

I think I have finally tracked down the root cause for an error I was getting on the Analysis>Run Analysis page - “The active scenario is encountering account withdrawal errors during fixed rate analysis” - but I am still puzzled. I likely have erred somewhere in understanding or deed, but I wanted to report this in case it might be an actual bug.

From inspecting Tabular Projections>Summary, no account balance ever gets anywhere near to depletion throughout the modelling period so the withdrawal error presented a mystery. At long last I noticed on Tabular Projections>Withdrawals, in the “Withdrawals from HSA” column, that there is one additional withdrawal occurring beyond the modelling period. I am modelling my life expectancy out to Age 95 (delusional) so my modelling period ends in Year 94 (the year I turn 95 and kick out). All income, expenses, taxes, growth, allocations, etc. end in Year 94 just as I would expect, but this one HSA withdrawal continues on for an additional year, causing the “Run Analysis” error since PRC is trying to make a withdrawal in the absence of any available account balance.

On Financial Assets>Management, under “SCHEDULED WITHDRAWALS TABLE”, I have the withdrawal configured as follows, with two separate lines: Line 1 has Start Year 2027/Stop Year 2033/Withdrawal Source Qualified HSA. Line 2 has Start Year 2034/Stop Year {BLANK}/Withdrawal Source Qualified HSA. If I explicitly enter the year I turn 95 as the Stop Year in Line 2, the withdrawal ceases in the last year of the modelling period, and the Run Analysis error goes away. But if I leave that year blank, PRC tacks on one additional withdrawal out beyond the modelling period, i.e. the Year / Age column has no Age specified. Since the Users Manual states for Stop Year “For indefinite withdrawals, leave this field blank”, I am suspecting this could possibly be a PRC bug.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

David,

You're correct! I duplicated this condition and this is indeed an error in PRC. It is considering withdrawal failures after your death in the case of the HSA. So, I'll attempt to get this fixed in the next update. Thanks!! Stuart.

ReplyQuote
(@ilovemybeagles)
Trusted Member Customer
Topic starter  

@smatthews51 Fantastic, thank you!!

ReplyQuote
Share: