Clear all

Getting Security Risk error with 2022.3.1

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@howard230)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Attempted to install latest release (9/3) and when enabling macros got the error: Security Risk Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source of this file is untrusted.

I'm running Microsoft Office 2016 and have never had a problem previously when attempting to enable macros in the xlsm you ship.

ReplyQuote
(@kalinwilson)
New Member Customer

Likewise using Excel 365. I was not given the choice to unblock macros by Excel. When I clicked the 'Unblock' setting in the file settings, PRC complained that it was unregistered. So now I'm trying to download another copy, or go through the unlock process. Frustrating.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@kalinwilson Are you still having this issue? If so, please contact me via email so I can better help you work through the issue.

Thanks, Stuart (mail@pralanaconsulting.com)

ReplyQuote
(@howard230)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  
My workaround was to just "allow all Excel macros for specific folder" as an Excel security setting. Not ideal doing that, but I can live with that.
Nothing has changed on my machine or with Excel so it was surprising that I was suddenly getting that, but it is becoming an old version of Excel since it is 2016.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Here's a little info that may be useful: All Pralana calculators contain macros that are digitally signed as a security precaution. The various versions of Excel issue different warnings regarding files containing macros, even digitally-signed macros. They may tell you the signature is valid but not from a trusted source. You can examine the details of that signature yourself via Visual Basic (accessed via the Developer menu) if you wish. And you can designate Pralana to be a trusted publisher. I can assure you that the signature on the Pralana 2022 Gold calculator is valid and uses the latest technology. In fact, I was using GoDaddy as the certification authority on this since the beginning but they elected to get out of this business in 2021 and I had to switch over to a new certification authority in March 2022. So, the current digital signature comes from Global Sign and it may be that this change is what's causing the issues mentioned in the posts above. All I can recommend is to review the Trust Center settings on your version of Excel if you're receiving warnings about the PRC file coming from an untrusted source.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@motogopher)
Trusted Member Customer

I had this too. I clicked on the message in Excel and that took me to the help that explained how to make this file "okay". Go to where the file is, in my case Desktop, right click properties and select Unblock at the bottom. Worked fine after that. See attached pic.

ReplyQuote
 NC
(@nc-cpl)
Reputable Member Customer

@kalinwilson I was under the impression PRC would only run on a locally installed version of Excel, not the web-based Office 365 platform. Has this changed?

ReplyQuote
Share: