Clear all

[Solved] Basic Income question/problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@donheffernanyahoo-com)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

This is a little embarrassing since I am only one day into this. I populated Pralana with simplified data. We are retired I have a pension and no social security. My wife has a pension and social security. I couldn't find a way to say no SS so I specified 0 benefits and starting at 70. When I go to >general>income the data looks fine. I see my pension, my wife's pension, and my wife's SS. I then tidied up our accounts and asset allocation. Then I popped over to tabular Projections and nothing makes sense. Taxable pension shows up about $40,000 more than our combined pensions, and Social Security income is $16,000 more than my wife's SS. I don't want to proceed if I have somehow corrupted data. This makes no sense to me. Start over?

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Donald,

I can't say what the problem might be without looking at your data. You can email (mail@pralanaconsulting.com) me an export file and I'll be happy to see if I can figure out what's going on. Starting over may or may not help, but regarding your SS, just select "ineligible" from the pull-down menu in the "age at which you plan to start benefits" field.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@donheffernanyahoo-com)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Thank you. I tried to delete this post because I was able to get it the system to report properly (I believe) by tweaking a few entries. The problem appears to be that the simplified entry form put some dates into the system that made it assume the current Pension figures I was entering started years ago and should therefore be inflated to the start date. By clearing out the start dates for everything and putting them in as this year it looks pretty good. I may be missing some tab or other than allowed me to put in that I retired a decade ago but the annual amount is todays.

I am impressed and a bit overwhelmed by how capable this software is. I primarily want to run a bunch of large Roth conversion scenarios.

ReplyQuote
Share: