Clear all

Partial Roth Conversions

6 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@quimby162)
New Member Customer
Topic starter  

Is there a way to model conversion of a portion of our qualified funds? As far as I can tell, the only option available is to convert 100%. We would like to model converting only a fraction....

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

Yes, you can model only a fraction. On the Roth conversion page, the table on the left side of the page gives you the ability to specify the specific years in which you want to do conversions, and it also gives you the ability to restrict the annual amount via any of these methods: marginal tax bracket, LTCG bracket or IRMAA bracket. Then, the table on the right side of the page shows you exactly what's happening. Specifically, it shows you how much is being converted each year and the limiting factor, such as tax bracket, IRMAA, etc. You just have to manually adjust the parameters until you get the result you want.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@mgarbm)
New Member Customer

What is the easiest way to model converting half of my TD account over a specified number of years during Roth Optimazation? I'm new at this so excuse me if what I'm trying to do doesn't make sense.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@mgarbm There is no mechanism to tell PRC to convert a specific fraction of your TD account, but you can specify which years you wish to do conversions in and also control the annual amounts. So, you'll just have to play with these controls until you've converted the desired total amount.

Stuart

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)
Reputable Member Customer

@mgarbm If it's purely a mathematical decision (paying the least taxes in your lifetime, etc) then let Pralana do it's thing. Read up on the optimization and manual controls in the manual, read threads there for gold advice as well.

But, sometimes the decision is more than math. You may want to convert to leave the money to heirs tax free, for example, and don't mind paying more yourself to do so. Or, one spouse has a health/longevity concern and wants to convert now, even at a non-optimal tax rate, to spare the surviving spouse from having to file at the single rate (widow/widower penalty) and pay more later.

ReplyQuote
(@mgarbm)
New Member Customer

Thanks Stu & Bill for the response!

Yes I'm finding out how to play with the controls to get the results I want. Are there any other pages besides 134-135 that I should be looking at to gain more control? Not sure of "read threads there for gold advice"?

ReplyQuote
Share: