Modeling Rental properties

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 WTS
(@wts)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

How are folks modeling rental properties? Are you using the rental property link under EXPENSES and entering gross rents and itemized expenses or using the INCOME tab and entering the NOI before depreciation?

TIA

Bill

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@hodes556)
Active Member Customer

I use the rental property link under EXPENSES. Using the INCOME tab rather than the EXPENSES tab could cause some problems with determination of tax items, such as passive loss limitation/carryover for tax calculations.

This is indicated in the manual:

Please note that you should generally avoid entering any income related to rental property on PRC’s
Income page; the Rental Expense page accounts for all expenses and income associated with rental
property, including tax-related items, and produces a net expense value (which will be negative if you have net income) which is incorporated into PRC’s overall cash flow calculations.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Alan Hodes

ReplyQuote
(@golich428)
Trusted Member Customer

I have only modeled rental properties one time and I followed the instructions in the manual, so I used the the rental property tab under expenses. I found it to be straight forward without any issues.

ReplyQuote
 WTS
(@wts)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

After fiddling around with it for a few hours I came to the conclusion that you're both right! 😀

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)
Reputable Member Customer

The upcoming 2023 version of PRC will do a better job of showing the income from rental properties, yay!

ReplyQuote
 WTS
(@wts)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

@hines202 Will PRC '23 present positive cash-flow properties as income instead of a negative expense?

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@wts Yes

ReplyQuote
Share: