Retirement Planning...

Notifications
Clear all

Retirement Planning/Investing Books

Pizza Man
(@giovanelli766)
Trusted Member Customer
Topic starter  
I have spent and continue to spend a lot of time on retirement planning/investing (I confess, I love it 😍 ) and have read a lot of blogs and books over the past 5 years in preparation for our retirement (now 3 years in). So I thought I would list the books I have in my home library. But first, I read two books I got from the public Library that are so good I will be adding them to my library (as soon as they show up at Half-Priced-Books). The first is one of the best books on retirement planning/investing I have read. It is The Psychology of Money - Timeless Lessons on Wealth, Greed, and Happiness by Morgan Housel, 2020. The second is the 2020 updated How to Make Your Money Last by Jane Bryant Quinn, a very good overall retirement planning book.
Now my library:
Control Your Retirement Destiny by Dana Anspach, 2nd Edition 2016, probably the best overall retirement planning book and the one I would recommend people start with.
The next three books are by guys who also have very good blogs:
Can I Retire Yet? by Darrow Kirkpatrick, 2016.
Choose FI - Your Blueprint to Financial Independence by Chris Mamula & Brad Barrett, 2019. More of an emotional/how I am feeling book, not one of my favorite books.
Others:
The 5 Years Before You Retire by Emily Guy Birken, 2014.
Your Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement by Larry Swedroe & Kevin Grogan, 2019.
Those with a tax bent:
Don't Retire Broke - An Indispensable Guide to Tax-Efficient Retirement Planning and Financial Freedom by Rick Rodgers, CFP, 2017.
A Concise Guide to Taxes in Retirement by Bruce Larsen, updated for 2020. I highly recommend this book.
The Tax Bomb in your Retirement - How the ROTH IRA Can Help You Avoid It by Josh Scandlen, 2019.
Taxes Made Simple by Mike Piper, CPA, 2019. Not a retirement book but good.
On Social Security:
Social Security Sense by Dana Anspach, CFP, RMA 2016. A little out of date so there may be newer ones by others.
Hard core reading:
A Random Walk Down Wall Street - The Time tested Strategy for Successful Investing by Burton Malkiel, 1973 updated in 2020. The original Investment book.
Irrational Exuberance - Revised and Expanded Third Edition by Robert Shiller, 2015. Yes, the Nobel Prize winner.
Hard hard core reading:
Living Off Your Money - The Modern Mechanics of Investing During Retirement with Stock and Bonds by Micharl H. McClung, 2015. If you don't like numbers, run away as fast as you can 😲. Literally half the book is charts and tables.
Two books I just started reading are Retirement Planning Guidebook by Wade Pfau, 2021 and Income Strategies by William Reichenstein, 2019. So far they both seem very good.
There you have it, hours and hours of joy await you!!!!!!
Pizza Man

NC Cpl
(@nc-cpl)
Eminent Member Customer

Well done. Great resource guide.

ReplyQuote
Greg Golich
(@golich428)
Active Member Customer

Thanks for the list. Here are some of my favorite books related to retirement and investing in no particular order.

Safety First Retirement Planning - Wade Pfau (I participated in his Retirement Research on Retirement styles - you probably saw the link in his book)

Your Money and Your Brain - Jason Zwig

The Psychology of Money - Morgan Housel

Stocks for the Long Run - Jeremey J. Siegel

The Power of Passive Investing - Richard A. Ferri

The Investors Manifesto - William Bernstein (I have read others but can't recall titles - he is good) Good Quote: If you have won the game, stop playing.

The Index Revolution - Charles D. Ellis

Winning the Loser's Game - Charles D. Ellis

Thinking Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

Superforecasting - Phillip Tetlock

The Delusions of Crowds - William Bernstein

By the way, one of the best podcasts on retirement I have found is: The Retirement and IRA Show - by Jim Saulnier and Chris Stein

ReplyQuote
Pizza Man
(@giovanelli766)
Trusted Member Customer
Topic starter  

Two more books from my library I forgot to include:

The New Retirement Savings Time Bomb by Ed Slot, 2021.

IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans by Twila Slesnick, 2021 15th Edition.

ReplyQuote
Share: