Clear all

Leaving Money Behind?

6 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@hines202)
Reputable Member Customer
Topic starter  

Is there an input anywhere to indicate a desire to leave $xxx behind? For example, if a couple have two kids and want to leave them each at least $250k, would there be a way to indicate that, and have the probabilities of success factor that in?

So, rather than 90% probability of success of never running out of money, it would indicate 90% of leaving that floor amount behind?

Maybe as a minimum baseline/floor amount in a specific category, such as a Roth (which is an optimal way to leave money behind since it won't be taxed to heirs and they can leave it in there without the 10-year clock ticking as it does in traditional accts)

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)
Topic starter  

I'd also like to see this when doing consumption smoothing, i.e. how much more can someone spend while still meeting that goal of leaving some money behind.

ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@hines202 No, there is currently no capability for the user to specify a legacy amount; however, I agree that this would be a nice product enhancement and I've added it to the list for PRC2022. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if a way to simulate this would be to put in a $500k 'expense' for one of those final years of life? I.e. if I'm setting it up for a longevity of 95 years, put that in for age 94? Then the chances of success, percentiles, etc would factor that in?

Mark Limke reacted
ReplyQuote
(@smatthews51)
Member Admin

@hines202 Yes, indeed, that does seem to work! I just ran a couple of tests with the Monte Carlo consumption smoothing algorithm and it works well to fund that $500K expense in the next-to-last year and finish with a 90% probability of success!

ReplyQuote
(@hines202)
Topic starter  

Great news! Mark that 2022 feature as completed, and update the manual 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: